You called everywhere you could and where told you cannot get a driver’s license in a new state because you are in the “Multi-State Problem Pointer Index System”.
You where told you have to take an “in person DUI class” in California or else you cant get a driver’s license. Is there any way around this for people who do not live in California? YES.
If you give up your license, you do not have to take the California DUI Class. However, you still have to maintain SR22 insurance for 3 years. Also be aware, the new state you get your license in may or may not make you do extra things since you have had a DUI in California. Please also remember by giving up your California license you cannot get it back for at least ten years.
In order to give up your California Driver’s License, you need to call the “Mandatory Action Unit” of the DMV.
I recommend calling at 8:01 AM as soon as they open, otherwise they get so busy you might not get through the rest of the day. The instructions to give up your license so you can get one in Nevada is as follows:
1. Contact the DMV Mandatory Action Unit and tell them you got a DUI, live out of state, and want to give up your California Driver’s License;
2. You can tell them more specifically that you need the “DL 4006 Form”;
3. Reach the Mandatory Action Unit at (916) 657-6576 and follow the prompts for the DUI unit;
4. They will say ok and ask you for your new out of state address. You must provide them an out of state address;
5. They will mail the “DL 4006 Form” to your new out of state address;
6. You must complete the package and mail the original DL 4006 Form to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
Mandatory Actions Unit M/S J233
PO Box 942890
Sacramento, CA 94290-0001